ONGOING RESOURCE SCHEME
A school culture of ‘inclusion’...at the forefront in educating children with high and very high level special needs in mainstream classes.
Ongoing Resource Scheme
Our school philosophy on inclusive education is embraced by the whole school, from the children, through to the teachers, the Principal and the Board of Trustees.
Central Normal School is an Accredited Special Education Service Provider. The school directly manages the Ministry of Education funding for its ORS funded students.
In co-operation with parents, family and whānau we provide quality educational programmes for children with high and very high special education needs through:
- IEP’s (individual Education Plans) written twice a year with parents/caregivers
- Appropriate adaptation of curriculum content
- Specialist teacher contact time
- Specialist one to one intervention
- Daily special education support in the regular classroom
- The option to learning in a partial immersion Māori class
Children with special needs will be supported in an inclusive environment with an educational programme that meets their individual needs.
He puawaitanga nō te harakeke: he rito whakaki i nga whā ruarua.
- Friendly, experienced and qualified teaching staff
- Caring, enthusiastic and trained support staff and teacher aides
- Modern and attractive school classrooms and facilities with many purpose build special needs facilities
- Up to date technology
- Itinerant teacher support where appropriate
“Students with identified special of complex learning needs are very well-supported by a number of suitably resourced programmes and trained support staff. This collegial team uses the expertise of a number of long standing, well trained personnel. Adults are responsive and accommodating and students learn in highly inclusive environments.” (ERO Report, 2011)
- Home-school liaison
- Music programme
- Gym and movement programme
- Swimming programme
- Cooking and life skills programme
- Oral language groups
- Technology assisted learning
- Speech-Language therapy and Occupational therapy according to IEP goals
- Educational visits in the local community e.g. Toy Library, class EOTC visits
- Behaviour management programmes
- Participation in Riding for the Disabled as available
“We are so impressed with what CNS has done for our autistic son. Since starting school, he has really blossomed into a happy little boy. The special needs programme is great, offering a wide variety of activities for our special kids. The students are very accepting of the special needs children and we have found them to be helpful and kind. As parents, we have received ongoing support, guidance and compassion from various staff members and are very, very grateful for all the help that has been given to our whole family.”
“CNS provides our child the opportunity to learn alongside mainstream children with IEP goals being constantly re-evaluated by outstanding teachers and teacher aides. You and your child will become part of the CNS family which celebrates the milestones and supports us in the times of need.”
“CNS provides our son with special needs a caring, supportive and inclusive environment in which to learn. While attending CNS he has access to specialist teaching, occupational therapy and speech language therapy. Additional programmes, such as swimming, horse-riding, music, gym and cooking help supply him with much needed life-skills. Being fully mainstreamed he also has the opportunity to learn important social skills in a situation where he is totally accepted despite his differences. The staff fosters a culture of inclusion through modelling acceptance and caring. We feel privileged to be part of the CNS family.”
For further information contact:
- Regan Orr (Principal)
- Kerry Howard (Assistant Principal with responsibility for Special Education)
All enquiries welcome